Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Does India have a Jared?

After visiting a handwork center and factory, my co-worker and I went to Connaught Place for a late lunch. I'd been told that Connaught Place was a spot where I should visit, enjoy the stores and have a good meal so I was game.

Once we parked, my co-worker was on a mission. He wanted something special. Something tasty. He would consider only one option for lunch: Subway!

My co-worker apparently loves Subway and we walked all around Connaught Place in search for the elusive sandwich maker. He knew one was there, but he wasn't sure exactly where it was so we passed numerous restaurants and wandered for an hour before we finally found it.

I must admit that it was an interesting experience. There two lines: one for "veg" and another for "non-veg." As my sandwich maker (a totally hunky young man, by the way) asked me what additional things I wanted on my subway club, we arrived at the end of the station, where the sandwich maker squeezes condiments from tubes. In addition to the usual selection of mayonnaise and mustard, he offered a mint sauce, a mango chutney and a sweet onion sauce. My co-worker opted for a "B.M.T." and had no idea what the "M" stood for. I couldn't figure it out so I just dropped it.

After we ate our sandwiches, we drove to the beautiful and huge President's Mansion (350 rooms!) and visited the Parliament building. We then drove down to the India Gate, which is a monument dedicated to the Indian soldiers who lost their lives in WWI.

So after my afternoon of Subway sandwiches and New Delhi tourism, I'm ready for a little room service and television.

No comments: