Saturday, June 28, 2008

Priding it up: day 1

Pride weekend exploded yesterday and the gays were certainly in a festive mood, even if the weather wasn't cooperating. I headed into the Castro yesterday evening and noticed that most of the homos had been liberally partaking in happy hour festivities. These gays were serious about getting their pride on and in a mood to party!

I went to the Bar with Roommates A&J and luckily walked in as DJ Zax played "Damaged"! Of course, Roommate J was in mid-text to let me know that the DJ was spinning my tune. It was super-crowded and poor Beetle was frantically slinging drinks to all the merry-makers. And interestingly, a liquor company sponsored some sort of promotion that involved packets of pop rocks. I'd forgotten how that crackling sensation in your mouth could be so fun!

After an hour at the cramped bar, we headed to a new establishment outside of the Castro. Chocolate Thunder has just moved to SF so he picked us up in his cab and we met up with Dyson, GarGar, Mattress and Dealia Roberts at the new bar. As we walked in, PorkChop was leaving with friends and warned us that the bar did not serve liquor! Only beer and wine. And let me tell you the patrons were not happy.

So we quickly left and went to Joshua J's pride kick-off party, Mr., where approximately 20 people were enjoying artwork and cheese. And a cash bar. Over time, however, the party picked up and the gays packed it in. The DJ played "Damaged" and GarGar and I scored new pairs of jeans. Apparently, Levi's sponsored the party so now I've got a pair of jeans ... that I cannot wear to work! GarGar immediately changed into his new pair and rocked his red jeans for the rest of the night.

Oh, and my jeans are a bit snug. I've got to lay off the carbs and get back to the gym!

1 comment:

Lena said...

how come i don't go to parties where i win jeans? i need to work on my social scene!