Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Shoe shine

Now that I'm no longer allowed to wear my gym shoes to work, I've found myself the target of a peddler who was heretofore invisible to me: the shoe-shine man! I'll be the first to admit that I could take much better care of my shoes. In fact, I could take much better care of all my belongings, but I'm a lazy panda.

The shoes I've been wearing to work are nice black leather loafers, approximately six years old, and as scuffed as humanly possible. And today, as I was walking to lunch, a fellow wearing what appeared to be a homeless-chic zoot suit (complete with fedora and pocket square) mumbled to me, "How y'all let your shoes look like that? Y'all come here and I'll shine those like proper."

But I just walked on by. I have no more meetings today and certainly no one is going to be impressed with newly shined shoes if they stay under my desk for the remainder of the afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite shoe shine guy used to walk up to people on Market street, stop a few feet in front of the potential customer, point at their shoes and yell "UH OH!!". I loved that.

Gleemonex said...

Just get 'em shined, Panda. It doesn't hurt, I promise. :-)