Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Strategery deck

So, after seven whole days on the job, I met with my supervisor to go over a draft of my proposed strategy. It was a very interesting exercise, seeing as how I still don't fully grasp what it is my new company does. Nonetheless, I put a few graphs on some slides, made some bullet point lists and walked her through it.

I'm not sure my supervisor really appreciates the value of having a stated strategy or direction. She's definitely a task-master and someone who takes conversations into the tactical details. I, on the other hand, tend to think big-picture and build frameworks to organize the work that has to get done. Hopefully, our perspectives will complement each other, but right now, I'm finding it difficult to get her to understand that I struggle to work on some day-to-day tasks without an idea of what the larger goal is I'm trying to achieve.

Whereas at my last company this strategy would have taken months to perfect and approximately 50 meetings to solicit input, my supervisor pretty much green-lighted it. Even if she doesn't see the need or value for it, I seem to have free reign to do as I like. And I think this is going to work just fine...

2 comments:

Gleemonex said...

STRATEGERY!!!

Son, Shatner bless your efforts to bring structure to the masses ... soon enough you'll be happy to get your own strategery going WITHOUT all those damn meetings.

room8J said...

I'm afraid this post needs more booze. Yes.