Wednesday, September 3, 2008

90210

Unsurprisingly, I spent last night watching the series premiere of 90210, the modern-day spin-off of Beverly Hills: 90210. In my youth, I did follow the high school adventures of Brenda and Brandon Walsh, Kelly Taylor, Dylan McKay and Donna Martin for the first few years, but I was not a loyal viewer. It's spin-off, Melrose Place, however, did keep me fully engrossed throughout its melodramatic run.

It was nice to see that the new 90210 retains some of its adolescent, moralistic storylines and didn't try to take Gossip Girl to the West Coast. You can already see that 90210 has laid the groundwork for issues-based episodes around drug addiction, parental control, academic stress, etc. I only wonder how soon it will descend into the over-the-top soap opera of the original. Does anyone remember when they introduced Brandon's girlfriend Emily Valentine who slipped him a hit of the drug "euphoria" at a rave and ended up setting a homecoming float on fire?

My favorite moments of last night's show were when they'd give nods to the original. Like having Hannah Zuckerman-Vasquez as the school reporter (and having a teacher ask if the girl is 30 years old), making one character Kelly Taylor's younger sister, and including the fumbling Nat, still proprietor of the Peach Pit. And I do admit that I felt chills when Shannen Doherty appeared, bringing Brenda Walsh back to life!

Furthermore, the inclusion of Jessica Walter as the main teens' drunk grandmother is brilliant! She brings shades of her Lucille Bluth character from Arrested Development back to television - a refreshing addition, indeed.

One minor casting problem I couldn't get over was Rob Estes as the principal/father who brings his family back to his Beverly Hills roots from Kansas. Doesn't anyone realize he was already part of the 90210 universe, as Kyle from Melrose Place? Where is the continuity police?

1 comment:

Gleemonex said...

Oh Panda!!! I love you so. I had no sooner hit "publish" on my post when I came over here and found yours ... YOU ARE THE WIND BENEATH MY WINGS.

And it was "U4EA", which was beyond awesome.