Monday, September 22, 2008

Head of the class

This morning I was a guest lecturer for an undergraduate class at UC Berkeley. Every time I return to a college campus, I'm struck at how old I've become. The students in this class looked like children to me. Certainly I was much older-looking and more experienced when I was their age ... right?

During my little presentation, I asked several questions that were answered by blank faces and very little class participation. Several of the students were struggling to stay awake and others were "secretly" typing on their blackberries.

When I asked the professor for feedback, she assured me that this behavior wasn't unusual and that I had actually succeeded in engaging a fair number of students. Apparently, the 9:30am start time is still considered an "early" class, by college standards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world! There is nothing like lunch in the dining hall to make me realize how old I am.

Gleemonex said...

Yeah, I feel ya.

Also: once, I had this 11:00 a.m. class, and the prof asked for how many of us this was the first class of the day -- most raised their hands. "Second?" the rest raised hands. She looked at me -- "Third." She didn't even have words to deal with that. (It was this awful semester I had a 7:00 a.m. gym class, a 9:00 "required elective" for my major, and then the 11:00. Bonus, though -- that was the last class for me, Tues & Thurs. So yay me!)