Thursday, September 25, 2008

'Til now, I always got by on my own

It's been a long time since I've made it out to '80s night, but last night we made our own return to the '80s at the Cheap Trick/Heart/Journey concert!

Mattress rented a ginormous white van and shuttled 12 of us across the Bay Bridge to the sold-out venue. Given rush-hour traffic and all the thousands of concert-goers, we were stuck among all the slow, slow cars. All the parking lots were full, but Mattress did some fancy maneuvering and barrelled our way into a spot. I guess other cars just move out of the way when a huge white van full of rowdy passengers flips a bitch and tears into a parking lot.

We ended up missing Cheap Trick, but luckily we caught Heart. And of course, the highlight was when they performed "Alone." And let me just say that Ann Wilson has an amazing voice. She can totally belt out the power ballads and get the crowd going.

Of course, I had to purchase a concert t-shirt as a souvenir, and I managed to drunkenly lift an additional t-shirt while PorkChop distracted the vendor lady. I sort of thought she saw me take it, but I guess she didn't, so I ended up with two!

Journey was also very good, but it is kind of weird to witness a Filipino man who sounds exactly like Steve Perry. I think half the audience was Filipino and I heard several people shout out, "Yeah Pinoy!" Those Filipino truly are a proud people.

3 comments:

Gleemonex said...

Aaahhhhhh! Thank you for the drunken YOU ARE THERRRRE! phone call, Panda! That was hilarious!

Me, I'd've been about Cheap Trick and Journey -- I love me some Journey. Even with the Double Fake Steve Perry.

Panda!!!! said...

What makes you think I was drunk??

room8J said...

I guess other cars just move out of the way when a huge white van full of rowdy passengers flips a bitch and tears into a parking lot.

Yes. Yes they do.