Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Shopping, strippers, saunas, salvation!

I just finished up a four-hour self-guided walking tour of Montreal. From my downtown hotel, I hoofed it along the main road, rue Ste.-Catherine, with two purposes: to find underwear and to find sunglasses (both of which I managed to omit from my luggage). I also wanted to explore this city, so I figured it would be a nice reason to get me out and about.

I made my way to Vieux-Montreal, whcih was one of the most charming areas I've ever visited. Its narrow, cobblestone streets and historic architecture were pretty and I enjoyed the juxtaposition between old and new. At times, it really felt like I had wandered right into the heart of Paris.

What was most interesting to me about my little tour is that all kinds of establishments seem to co-exist peacefully. I was walking along, noticing all the American and un-American brands: Gap, Banana Republic, H&M, Roots, when ... bam! ... a church! A lovely little gothic cathedral, set back from the main road. Then, a few paces further, a titty club! (My favorite was called the Pussy Corps.) Just peacefully situated alongside an Aldo shoestore. And sprinkled amongst the stripper joints, the churches and the shops were restaurants, bars and ... saunas? Just right there, beckoning horny patrons to come inside.

It's all a bit surreal to me, but I guess this American panda is a bit more puritanical than our neighbors to the north. The European laissez-faire attitude certainly has permeated Canadian culture in a way that never happened where I'm from.

And you'll be pleased to know that I was successful in purchasing underwear and sunglasses. However, things here in Canada are very, very expensive. And tax is quite a kicker! I can tell I won't be doing much more shopping on this trip.

No comments: