Friday, September 12, 2008

I'm gonna wound you

VALedictorian and I went to See Spring Awakening last night after some cheap and tasty Thai food in the tenderloin. I didn't know much about the show (and VALedictorian knew even less), so it was kind of neat going into it with very little information. All we knew was that it cleaned up at last year's Tony Awards and that it couldn't be worse than the vampire musical disaster Lestat which we had seen together a few years ago.

So, the subject matter was a bit racier than I anticipated (including a scene and song dedicated to masturbation), but I really appreciated the way it tried to capture teenage angst and hormones, even based in the repressed setting of late 19th century Germany. The anachronistic songs, references and lighting schemes created a very interesting juxtaposition, but at times I felt like it was trying a bit too hard to be different.

Overall, the actors had very strong voices (one performer was a finalist in Canadian Idol) and it was a good show. Plus, the guy who played the lead in this particular production was quite the cutie - totally channelling Zac Efron throughout the show.

No comments: