Friday, August 15, 2008

Eco hotel

I spent today learning about the environmentally friendly attributes of the hotel I'm visiting in Portland. The team of people gathered approximately 30 company representatives to learn about their efforts and to take a behind-the-scenes look at the hotel's operations.

When the first presentation began, I realized I was the only male company representative and the only one who wasn't a member of a company's meetings and events department. My perspective was very different from the rest of the participants and I sort of wonder if the others left with the same thoughts I did.

While the other participants asked about hotel capacity, its ability to provide a buffet breakfast outside the ballroom, ways they could set up a tradeshow for the best "flow" and whether or not guests opposed the "bulk amenities dispensers" in the showers, my questions focused more on the validity of the company's carbon footprint assessment and whether or not they passed on the cost of these investments onto customers.

We toured the hotel's extensive recycling and composting program, admired its CFL light bulb retrofits, learned about its biodynamic gardening and sampled its cuisine made from locally sourced ingredients. Every step of the way, the general manager spoke as a father would speak about a new baby. It was nice to see how passionate he was about his team's accomplishments, but I couldn't help but think that they were able to implement all the cosmetic changes without serious consideration for how the hotel's operations could truly reduce its environmental impact and measure progress. I guess that's what happens without budget restrictions and a desire to showcase some good faith efforts.

Ultimately, it was a good visit and I enjoyed seeing the hotel operations. But more importantly, the general manager offered to comp my stays in the future!

No comments: