Wednesday, March 26, 2008

God's own country

I'm in Cochin, a little coastal town near the equator where things are markedly different from Delhi. Whereas in Delhi the air is hazy with pollution, car horns sound non-stop, the pace of life rushes by and everything looks various shades of dirty, Cochin is a lush, tropical, seaside paradise. I'm sure it's thanks to these features that Indians have dubbed this area, "God's own country."

Sure it's much warmer and more humid. And certainly, you have to contend with hoards of little blood sucking mosquitoes (and this is why I'm taking anti-malarial pills), but it really is so peaceful and relaxing here.

We're staying at the beautiful Taj Malabar resort where tourists have come to lay by the pool, drink fruity cocktails, partake in spa services and fill their bellies. I, on the other hand, have been attending our regional conference and making presentations in my hotel room.

No comments: