Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Skin deep

I went to the dermatologist this morning to examine some sort of "spot" on my neck. It's been there for a while, but I've never really thought much about it. I just thought it was kind of ugly and I realized it wasn't a part of me a few years ago so I decided I should see what it was.

This also served as a good time for me to get a check-up on skin issues in general. Having spent half my life swimming outdoors in direct sunlight, I've sort of resigned myself to a future of skin cancer - and this ugly spot was a good catalyst for me to actually do something about it.

Upon entering the doctor's office, I had to fill out the usual paperwork about health insurance, medical history, etc. I also had to do a diagnosis to figure out what skin type I am (IV, whatever that means). Another form asked what types of skincare products I use and whether I was interested in certain procedures such as botox, chemical peels or other cosmetic procedures. I must admit that I was mildly interested, but realized that my insurance probably wouldn't cover any of it.

When the doctor examined the little bugger, he said it probably was harmless but took a chunk out of my neck to send to the lab anyway. Because he used local anaesthesia, I didn't feel a thing - but it was a very strange sensation to hear his instrument scraping and digging around.

No comments: