Monday, March 24, 2008

Namaste

Well, internets, I'm in New Delhi for the first time in my life and boy is it a different world from my San Francisco home. Upon arrival, I was surprised at how dirty and run-down the airport was. It's under construction, but I really didn't expect to see exposed wires, unfinished walls, half-lit signage and general grime.

And the ride from the airport to our hotel was pretty interesting as well. I'd been warned about the chaotic driving and the cacophany of horns, but I didn't really experience it - probably because I arrived so early in the morning so it was pre-rush hour.

As promised, I did notice cows moseying slowly along the roads, the air thick with dust and lots of poverty everywhere. People urinating and spitting on the sides of the roads, shacks erected wherever there was extra space and people crossing roads and approaching our car for money (I obviously don't look like a local).

Upon entering the hotel, an attendant held a large mirror under our car. Apparently to check for bombs! I sort of wish I hadn't asked what the purpose was, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the 3rd paragraph sound like my 'hood! especially during dore/folsom weekends!