Monday, March 31, 2008

Health clubbing

In general, hotel gyms aren't my thing and I try to avoid them if possible. That said, when you're on the road for two weeks, you make do with what's available so I just returned from a "workout" in the hotel's health club. I guess it's a health club because, in addition to a teensey gym, you can relax on a chaise lounge in a dark closet, enjoy a jacuzzi (three bathtubs seated in a row) or get a massage.

In any case, this is definitely not one of the nicer hotel gyms I've seen. I bumped my head on the low ceiling (so no standing shoulder press) and felt the need to thoroughly wipe down each piece of equipment before I used it. To top it off, it's tiny and I kept getting in the way of the one man who was there, really sweating it up.

Apparently, this hotel health club is also open to the public and the other patron was a paying member, not a mere hotel guest like Panda!!!!. That fact alone boggled my mind because I couldn't imagine paying hard-earned rupees to belong to that gym. But I guess if there's nothing else available...

During the past week in India, I've noticed billboards and signs that publicize gyms. Usually, they're adorned with paintings of overly muscular Indian men in little bodybuilding thongs. And typically, these signs are affixed to run down shacks that look about as hygienic as a chicken coop.

No comments: