Friday, August 29, 2008

Slow food feasting

The Slow Food Nation convention begins in San Francisco today, but I got a little slow food sneak preview, thanks to an impromptu backyard BBQ with Mattress and Beetle.

After Roommate J talked me out of our original plans to help the community, I was surprised to find a voice message from Beetle asking me if I wanted to join him, Mattress and Blanca for a little steak grilling in their backyard. Since it was Mattress's birthday yesterday, I'd assumed they would have an intimate evening before the official soiree tonight.

So I hopped over to Mattress and Beetle's to lounge in the uncharacteristically warm night air and enjoy some wine. And even though I was stuffed from my dinner, I couldn't resist partaking in the broccolini, the green beans and the fingerling potatoes they'd prepared. I learned that all the spices used in last night's meal and the green beans were grown locally - as in their back yard! To say that I was impressed was an understatement.

And because we dined in the glow from a gothic-inspired candelabra, Beetle asked that this post be accompanied by a similar image. Happy birthday, Mattress!

1 comment:

room8J said...

You talked yourself out of going out, not me! You are not to be trusted!