Sunday, August 24, 2008

Kiss off

Well, the final curtain descended upon the legendary Trannyshack last night and appropriately, we all showed up in our finest garb. Mattress combined two tragic wigs and paid homage to Heklina, the mistress of ceremonies, PorkChop rocked a hollowed-out head of cabbage like it was no one's business, Beetle and Blanca donned work-appropriate attire to bookend Mattress, Kitten twirled in flowing pink sleeves and my own outfit featured seersucker pants, two tank tops, a vest, a tie, body glitter and two smoldering eyes.

After spending several hours getting trashed and getting ready at Mattress and Beetle's, we cabbed it over to the Regency Center Ballroom to enjoy the show. I know that there were performances happening, but I really don't think I watched any of the show. Mostly we just spent time taking photos, drinking too much and acting silly with our friends.

As expected, there were drag queens and trannies galore, long lines for the bathrooms and homos - some fierce and some tragic - bouncing all around the ballroom. It was an appropriate end to a San Francisco institution like Trannyshack.

I only made it to the actual Trannyshack once during my time in San Francisco, mostly because it was held on Tuesday nights and didn't get going until midnight. The time I went, it was absolutely packed (like every Tuesday, apparently) and I couldn't see the stage because this ginormous drag queen was standing in front of me, obstucting my view. When I finished my drink and realized I couldn't get to the bar to get another or set my empty glass down, I decided to just slip it into the drag queen's messenger bag. I so wish I could have seen her confused face as she unpacked her bag later and found a glass within it.

2 comments:

Gleemonex said...

I can't help thinking there's a book somewhere in your nightlife chronicles, Panda -- love this stuff!

Anonymous said...

i still get a song stuck in my head from my one and only visit to the trannyshack in 1999. it was performed by 'tequila gold' and it was an awesome, catchy number about parallel parking and gear shifting.