Thursday, August 14, 2008

The mix and mingle

I'm in Portland, visiting a hotel chain's environmentally friendly prototype hotel, along with several dozen of the chain's other customers. The tour and meetings commence tomorrow, but tonight was the welcome reception, complete with organic wines (ick), a sustainably raised beef dish, some tasty salmon nibbles and other yummy things. There's even a menu of cocktails featuring an organic vodka.

There were approximately three hotel staff for every company representative, so sadly, I was never left alone to graze at leisure. And because it was so hot in Portland today, I got to talk about the hot weather several dozen times. There were many discussions about San Francisco's foggy weather, its steep cost of living and how Portland is very similar to my hometown.

But I think all the other company representatives come from the meetings & events team, including three individuals from a certain Seattle-based, ubiquitous coffee company. Each person is incredibly perky, talkative and complimentary. Not being very adept at small talk, I did my duty and left for the night, seeking refuge in the Olympics broadcast.

No comments: