Saturday, August 2, 2008

The peak

Last night, when we landed in Hong Kong after the 13-hour flight (through which I slept for approximately 30 minutes), my uncle picked us up from the airport and whisked us off to dinner at "The Peak." As in Victoria's Peak.

My grandmother, about 15 uncles and aunts and 10 cousins all gathered for a delicious meal at my uncle's house, overlooking all of Hong Kong. It was a beautiful night (not too humid, not cold) and we feasted on a seven-course meal consisting of the following:

Shrimp cocktail with mango salsa
French onion soup
Baked lobster with noodles
Bakes salmon
Pork tenderloin
Ginger cake
Kiwi cake

Over the four-hour meal, we all caught up, laughed and drank. Meanwhile, I struggled to stay awake and I must say that I was quite a trooper, nodding politely when several people asked when I was going to get married, smiling when people said my Chinese is horrendous and silently chewing when someone suggested the solution to all my problems would be to find a Chinese girlfriend. Preferably one from Shanghai.

1 comment:

jboogie said...

You should send your relatives pictures of me and tell them you found a nice Taiwanese girl!