Thursday, October 23, 2008

Datingting

My co-worker is on the phone with her family, speaking in Tagalog. It's such an amusing-sounding language to me, full of staccato trills and hard consonants. I imagine it's a very difficult language to learn and understand and it reminded me of a book I saw a few weeks ago.

While at Gerbil's house in Chicago, I noticed he had a book entitled Ba Ba Ba, Ba? Ba. I asked him what it meant and he said that it's a Filipino joke. Something along the lines of: "Are you going down in the elevator?" "Yes, I am going down in the elevator."

He couldn't explain to me why it was so hilarious and insisted that I had to understand his uncle's humor, but I just didn't get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ma bung ho!

room8J said...

I feel like I might know who anonymous is.

Panda!!!! said...

Dana?