Monday, October 13, 2008

Defying gravity

Even though I do like musicals, I'm not a fan of showtunes ... or when bars play showtunes. Despite my aversion, I agreed to accompany Puppy, Periwinkle and their friends to a Chicago bar that plays showtunes on Sunday nights.

After Puppy and Periwinkle rested from the marathon, we met up for Mexican food and margaritas before hitting the town for the night. The enormous bar was packed with all sorts of men singing along with the music at the top of their lungs. And when they played "Defying Gravity" from Wicked, some homo got on top of the bar to belt out the tune.

Gerbil met us for a bit, but ultimately it was an early night. We're about to leave Chicago to return home, and I think I'm ready. But I'll kind of be sad when I'm not surrounded by broken, limping marathoners. It's kind of funny to see all these people who are struggling to walk - and it's very funny to see those who insist on wearing their medals the day after completing the event.

No comments: