Sunday, October 12, 2008

Keeps going and going and going...

I woke up (relatively) early this morning and met TexyLady near Gerbil's condo to watch Puppy and Periwinkle in the Chicago Marthon. We met up at the 7-mile mark and were so busy catching up that we nearly missed Puppy and Periwinkle run by. Fortunately, they spotted me and shouted out my name. Caught off guard, we waved hello as they ran by. It was like they, the runners, were cheering for me, the spectating panda!

We hustled to the next mile stop and were able to properly spot the two runners as they made their way by the 8-mile spot. Then TexyLady and I watched some of the festivities and walked along the course, taking in all the revelry and cheering crowds.

After a tasty brunch, we took the train to the chaotic finish line and tried to find them as they finished the grueling race. We waited by our designated meeting place for about an hour before TexyLady had to return home, but I stayed until I found Periwinkle, who let me know that Puppy had started vomiting along the course and they separated. Shortly after, Puppy arrived, battered and bruised, but having completed the marathon!

Puppy let us know that he was forced off the course and instructed to rest in the medical tent. They refused to let him continue, but once the medics' attention was diverted, he dashed back onto the course and left the medics far behind.

I'd never cheered for a marathon before and it was surprisingly fun. It was great to see so many supportive friends, family members and onlookers, clapping wildly and screaming encouragement at the runners. In a clever twist of marketing, Energizer was handing out pink foam bunny ears to encourage the runners to "keep going." On top of it all, it was a gorgeous, warm day (too hot for the runners) so people seemed to be in good spirits. I'm so proud and impressed that Puppy and Periwinkle finished and it almost makes me want to train to run a marathon. But not quite.

No comments: