Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Take me to your leader

Just a few years ago, who'd have thunk that the American people would elect a black man named Barack Hussein Obama as their next president? Amazing.

I went over to Puppy's last night to watch the returns with a dozen or so flaming liberals who hooted and hollered at the television screen as the results came in. But while it seemed like the entire nation erupted in elation when Obama was declared victorious (and after McCain gave a very nice and very measured concession speech), my fair neighborhood feels wounded after the hateful Proposition 8 passed, writing discrimination into California's state constitution.

In the grand scheme of things, Obama had to win, so I'm grateful. And I'm confident that someday this country is going to come to its senses and truly embrace the sentiment that "all men are created free and equal."

No comments: