Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Celeb sighting: Awearness

Last night I attended the launch of Kenneth Cole's new book of essays and profiles, Awearness. My invitation came only because I once spoke at an event that the host organization had planned a few years ago, not because I'm a member of the San Francisco glitterati that was in attendance.

A handful of other corporate social responsibility practitioners were present, and we all felt woefully under-dressed and out of place. Who are these people who can show up to an event at 5pm in couture? How do I end up in that station of life, instead of in a position where I actually have to work for a living?

Nonetheless, it was nice to be included in the VIP reception beforehand, where I got to rub shoulders (literally) with Kenneth Cole, his diminutive wife and our fair mayor.

Moved by the man of the hour, I actually did purchase a book, which actually looks quite interesting, and because I was already positioned in the front of the line when Mr. Cole sat down for the book-signing portion of the event, I asked him for an autograph. It was sort of amusing to see that his signature really is the one that graces so many pairs of my shoes.

No comments: