Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Forever in blue jeans

One of The Corporation's competitors is running a television commercial that caught my eye recently. I'd seen the original version a few times and thought it was interesting, but nothing groundbreaking:

Then I saw the gay'ed up version, which got me thinking:

Levi's is another SF-based clothing company that is known for its socially responsible business practices. In fact, I learned this morning that its corporate headquarters is working to ban bottled water from its headquarters. In case you're wondering why, here are some statistics about bottled water:

* The Natural Resources Defence Council found 25% of US bottled water brands to contain bacterial or chemical contamination
* 38 billion water bottles end up in US landfills each year
* 37,000 tractor-trailers transport bottled water shipments each week
* It takes 18 million barrels of oil to produce the global supply of water bottles each year
* US EPA drinking-water quality standards for tap water are more stringent than those for bottled water

Ads aimed at my homo-sensibilities? Efforts to save the planet? I must give our competitors a hearty congratulations - and hope that The Corporation can keep up!

2 comments:

Gleemonex said...

Yes, yes, Panda, but don't you dare think of leaving. Don't you DARE.

Panda!!!! said...

What's funny is that I didn't really finish my thought, but you sort of knew where I was going with it, didn't you Gleemonex. No worries though! This panda is loyal to The Corporation...