Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Paris, je t'aime!


Franny turned me on to this here bloggie that details some of the culinary treasures one can find in Gay Paree. Reading through his suggestions, I begin to wax nostalgic at the four months I spent in Paris, as a young panda, honing my français while exploring this marvelous city with a gaggle of friends.

I remember playing "I never" with the girl who didn't quite get it and used every turn to tell a hilarious and bizarre story about her youth.

I remember desperately wanting to open a bottle of wine, but being unable to do it, so we jammed the cork down the middle of the bottle's neck, where it got stuck. We punctured a hole through the cork and slurped it up while sitting on a sidewalk at 4 in the morning.

I remember dining with my veuve, Mme. Grolleron, who would excitedly cut a chunk of her baguette with such force that she would nearly develop whiplash every time.

I remember sitting in class at La Sorbonne and thinking that French classrooms were so old, stately and ornate.

I remember walking to a friend's apartment, dressed to explore the ravey underbelly of the city and being mistaken for a prostitute.

I remember the weird co-ed showers with men in thongs when I tried one afternoon to practice with a French swim team.

I remember the American girls in my program who fell in love with French boys and gave it up in the name of true romance.

I remember going out with my friend and her best friend's hot boyfriend with the tribal tattoo on his scalp, who decided that he wanted to try kissing a boy for the first time and declared that we needed to make out all night.

I remember cooking French dinners with Flabs, using unrefrigerated milk in tetrapacks, while listening to "Comme J'ai Mal" by Mylène Farmer and "Personne" by Pascal Obispo.

I remember all the macarons, the fallafel, the baguettes, the crêpes, the paninis, the fromage, the fondue, the ... omigod the food was so delish!

Ahem, anyway, it was a lovely time in a young panda's life and I'll list the blog up in the "cubiclentertainment" section for y'all to read along if you wish!

No comments: