Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I come to suck your bloooood...


Yesterday morning, Panda!!!! had to get some bloodwork done, and thus visited the lab where they perform the ritual sacrifice of blood removal.

I think I'm sort of a wimp when it comes to drawing blood, and that probably explains why two months have elapsed since the time my doctor ordered these tests and the time I actually went to the lab. The technician usually has a hard time finding a vein, and yesterday was no exception. The new sensation, however, came when he did find a vein, but had to root around in there for a while - turning, rotating and twisting the needle around. I nearly passed out just looking at that!

I don't really mind looking at the blood; in fact, I'm sort of fascinated by the vaccum tubes they use to coax the blood out. Why doesn't it continue to flow once the tube is removed? I sort of expect blood to spurt all over the place, but it doesn't.

The problem I have is that the sensation of feeling blood getting sucked out of my arm freaks me out. Maybe it's in my head, but I swear I can feel it being sucked out of my arm. I also don't like watching it flow liberally into the tube.

Moreover, whenever they take out blood for multiple tests, it seems like quite a lot of blood for me to give up. Four vials! Can I really live without those vials of life-giving blood? It doesn't seem right.

My minor trauma sparked a lively conversation amongst the Swerve and I learned several things:

* Flabs does not understand why some folks get freaked out about having their blood drawn
* BFJ is not a fan of having blood drawn and has been known to pass out
* Shotgun coincidentally had her blood drawn at the same time as Panda!!!! and rewarded herself in a similar manner (eggs and potatoes) for surviving the ordeal
* Franny and her family used to tease her poor brother who's afflicted with some condition that causes him to pass out whenever blood is drawn (or when he gets a pap smear)

1 comment:

Gleemonex said...

Hate having blood drawn (always look the other way when they stick the needle in), hate seeing it in vials or bags, have donated my last pint of it because I CANNOT STAND the feeling of the tube, which lies over the top of your hand and goes down into the bag, CANNOT TAKE the way that feels against the back of my hand YOU CAN FEEL YOUR PUULLLLLLLLLSE IN IT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!